The first macadamia-graham cracker crust I made for the Mallow Cranberry Cheesecake was left in the oven just a few minutes too long, so I decided to make a new one. I couldn't bring myself to throw it out the first one, though, because it wasn't necessarily burnt. One person's slightly overcooked graham cracker-macadamia nut crust is another person's opportunity to make another type of cheesecake... And that's why I made this White Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake.
I poured on a layer of tempered white chocolate. Cole suggested a long time ago that I make a white chocolate cheesecake crust and this seemed like an appropriate time to test it out.
I enjoyed the "no-bake" part of the Cranberry Cheesecake recipe from Taste of Home, so I modified it to make a Cherry Cheesecake.
I piped on a little bit of whipped cream as the topping and surrounded it with Amerena Fabbri cherries. I drizzled some of the cherry syrup on top of the cheesecake for the heck of it.
The white chocolate crunch was a fun surprise, but when the cheesecake was right out of the fridge it was a bit tough to get all the way through with a fork. A thinner layer of white chocolate would be better next time. I have already adjusted the recipe below to use less white chocolate.
Gotta love a no-bake dessert. It was a piece of cake!
And just because I can always find a way to fit her in any post... here is Georgia taking in the sweet smells as we watch Cole photograph the cheesecake. (And they say bulldogs don't have a good nose. Pshh...)
White chocolate cherry CHEESECAKE
(Adapted from Taste of Home)
¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
½ cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup butter, melted
1 oz white chocolate, tempered
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
¼ cup cold water
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
1 jar (8 ounces) wild Italian cherries in syrup (Amarena Fabbri)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, nuts and sugar. Stir in butter. Press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. (You can turn oven off now!)
- Pour melted white chocolate onto cooled crust and spread evenly with knife or spatula. Let cool for 1 to 2 hours, or until hardened.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved and let cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese and marshmallow creme until smooth. Add in cherries in syrup and cooled gelatin and mix on low to combine.
- In a small bowl, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into cream cheese mixture. Pour over crust. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
To Assemble: Just before serving, carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Spoon additional cherries and syrup over cheesecake.