I recently shared a recipe for Homemade Granola on Cole and Kiera Photography, which is my husband Cole and I's photography business. (That's my other job.) While we live in Concord, Massachusetts, our families live in Long Island and the Bay Area, so we have the lovely advantage of being able to call all three places "home" and consider ourselves local photographers in Boston, San Francisco, and New York areas. Well, it's (yay!) SUMMER aka Wedding Season - so that means we're working lots of weekends and, like the C+K photography sub-header might imply, traveling quite a bit. It's really gratifying to work and travel and visit our families and friends. But it also has been feeling like a whirl-wind tour recently. Packing and unpacking are two of our outside-work hobbies.
We kicked off our wedding season in April in the Hudson Valley area with a fantastic wedding. Then we shot a wedding in Napa -- Cole is in the midst of putting together a sneak peak blog post for that wedding right now.
A healthy, energizing breakfast to start the day right, re-fuel while working, or a grab-and-go (just add milk or yogurt) travel snack was basically begging to be made. If your summer is moving at a fast pace like ours, whether it's work, travel, or activities and camps and summer bucket-list agendas, carve out a little time and make a big batch of this granola. I'm about to go make a double (maybe triple) batch myself as we already devoured the first round.
Happy summer, friends!
COLE + KIERA'S HOMEMADE GRANOLA (originally posted here)
3 cups [288 g] old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup [120 g] mixed nuts (sliced almonds and chopped hazelnuts)
1/2 cup [85 g] dried peaches, chopped
1/2 cup [30 g] unsweetened flaked coconut
2 Tbsp flaxseeds, coarsely ground
1 1/2 Tbsp chia seeds
6 Tbsp [85 g] unsalted butter
scant 1/2 cup [95 g] brown sugar
1 Tbsp bourbon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp of kosher salt
1/4 tsp cardamom
a dash of cinnamon
1 egg white
- Preheat the oven to 325° [165°C].
- In a large bowl, toss together the rolled oats, nuts, dried peaches, coconut, flaxseeds, and chia seeds.
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, add butter, brown sugar, bourbon, vanilla extract, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon. Stir until all ingredients are well combined and mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour warm butter and sugar mixture over dry ingredients and stir until evenly coated.
- Beat egg white until frothy. Gently stir into mixture then spread onto a sheet pan or large baking pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and dry to the touch. Turn oven off, crack open the oven door, and let granola cool completely inside the oven for a couple of hours.
- Transfer to an airtight container, breaking granola up a little but leaving some good sized clusters intact. Store at room temperature for up 2 weeks (or for several weeks in the freezer)!