So, I derailed a bit from the cupcake. I know, I know. My life is practically spinning out of control. But something about Cole's idea about White Chocolate on the Cheesecake Cupcakes (and my recent Costco purchase of Macadamia Nuts) inspired me to bake some White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies. First things first: Ghirardellli white chocolate chips + halved Mauna Lao Dry Roasted Macadami Nuts. (I am starting to think I like brands of food more than I like brands of clothes. Awkward....)
- For whatever reason, my dough couldn't hold a full cup and a half of the white chocolate chips so I only used 1 cup.
- I used half bread flour, half unbleached all-purpose flour. (I'll cover this another day.)
- Light brown sugar? PSHHHHH. I make my own, biatch. 1 cup of light brown sugar = 1 cup of organic sugar + 1/2 of a tablespoon of original molasses.
- Did not just melt the butter, I browned the butter, for an extra caramel-y kick.
- Refrigerate overnight. Let those flavors soak in, babe.
Me likey. For those of you who tried 'em, a cookie for your thoughts?
WHITE CHOCOLATE MACADAMIA NUT COOKIES
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup unsalted butter, browned and cooled slightly
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
½ Tbsp molasses
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup macadamia nuts, halved
2 cups white chocolate chips
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda and salt and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together brown butter, white sugar, and molasses. Beat in the egg, then beat in the egg yolk, then beat in the vanilla.
Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture and stir until just incorporated. Mix in the macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips by hand with a rubber spatula.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Drop a heaping tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets.
Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the edges and bottoms are a light golden brown. Let cool on baking sheet.